Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Friday, April 20, 2007

Srpski, Italijanski, sve jedno

So, I've recently been introduced to The L Word, a silly and overdramatic, but addictive lesbian soap opera that a lot of my friends and collegues here love. (I think I am still partial to Queer as Folk for my queer soap opera needs, but this is fun too.) It seems fair to watch the lesbian soap opera with them and talk about it with them since they watch so many movies with hetrosexual love stories (I mean, what movie doesn't have a heterosexual love story?) with me.

In the most recent episode that I saw, the beautiful art gallery director goes to visit the just-retired director of a foundation that has given her all sorts of money in the past. This woman and her beautiful young foreign lover are being massaged. She says something about 'her Nikola.' And I get excited. That's a name from this part of the world.

The lovers then have a conversation - her part in English, his in BCS (It sounded a bit stilted to me. It wasn't proper beogradski srpski, but was still comprehensible.), with a translator, Vesna, chiming in from across the room. The scene ends and we never see the pair again.

But then, in the credits, he is not 'Nikola,' but 'Orlando' and the translator is credited as 'The Italian Translator.'

The show is silly to begin with, but this is ridiculous.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was addicted to the L Word last year while I had access to the first season here in Ghana. After watching 5 seasons of Alias in a short time span, I started to think that everyone around me was a spy. After the L Word, I was pretty sure that the French girl who dropped ice down my shirt at the most chic bar in Accra was not simply clumsy. Plans to watch more eposides upon return to the US this summer (that and Lost!).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home