Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Big break #4 - updated

This morning, when I came to my language school, my teacher said, ‘good morning, star’ (in Serbian, of course).

‘What?’ I asked, confused.

‘Today a TV crew is coming to film some of the students.’

And so a group of foreigners was filmed by a crew from a TV station. They asked us how long we have been here, why we came, what we think of Belgrade. We also talked a bit about what we believe in. ‘I believe in friendship,’ was my trite response. Of course, everything we said was pun gresaka (full of mistakes). The segment should be pretty amusing. There was a Frenchman with a thick accent who has only been studying for a few months and made many charming mistakes.

So, I will be making my national television debut (if they don’t edit me out) on Friday morning, as part of a segment of the morning program (more or less ‘Good Morning, Serbia’) on B92. The reporter said it would air sometime between 8:30 and 10:00.

The TV crew said that they will give us copies of the segment. I will post it here eventually… if I am not too ashamed.

UPDATE:
I was one of four people that made it through the editing process to make it on the air. If you were watching B92 at approximately 9:50 this morning, I could be seen explaining how I can't say the letter 'lj' or hear the difference between ‘ć’ and ‘č.’

3 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is this that difference between ch sounds in itch and lunch?
    Momdre

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    something like that... but I just can't hear it.

     
  • At 3:09 PM, Blogger Momdre said…

    There's a Serbo-Croatian dictionary at the library in my office. I looked in it and it says the two accented c's both sound like church. I didn't think to check what the Bosnian dictionary says.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home