Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Friday, September 08, 2006

dosadna

I had a lovely, sprawling conversation with F this morning, catching up on the events of the past few months.

One of the many questions that she asked me was if I have a different personality when I’m speaking Serbian. I hadn’t thought about it before, but I definitely do. I don’t speak much in my Serbian-language conversations. I ask rather boring questions: “what’s new with you?” “what did you do last night/over the weekend/etc.?” “how is your family?” and then make non-committal replies to others’ responses: “nice,” “interesting,” “really?” I also smile and nod a lot. That is not too similar to my English-language personality.

F called the new, Serbian-language me a ‘politician’s wife,’ friendly but a bit boring (except she didn’t say the boring part – she’s too tactful for such things).

This is good motivation to keep up with my language study. Maybe in a few more months I will develop a halfway tolerable Serbian-language personality.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:55 PM, Blogger Bg anon said…

    A lot of men who learn Serbian quite well adopt a rather macho approach to the language / persona - swearing a lot, acting as if they couldnt give a damn and being rude whilst driving around the country.

    Another thing to watch out for is the pitch of your voice - does it change when you speak Serbian or not? Then again if you are a smoker and live in Serbia for a few years its likely your voice will get more like gravel anyway.

     
  • At 2:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Allyson used to make fun of me for being much more of a smartass in Spanish. I think the end of our year in Ecuador mostly brought my English and Spanish personalities into line, but it took a long long time.

    ps - Hi! I'm so glad that Allyson found your blog so I can read it too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home