Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Struga

I can now say that I have salsa danced in a cave converted into a nightclub with a crowd of Kosovar Albanian and Serbian women.


I spent my weekend on the shore of Lake Ohrid, one of the prettiest places I have been in a long time. The lake is huge and beautiful and, if I squinted, looked like the ocean (quite a compliment in my book). I probably won’t be going back there any time soon, as it is a 12 hour bus trip from Belgrade.


It was work that took me to The Republic of Macedonia/FYROM/AlbaniTurkiSlavistan (the names that the country’s residents, the Greeks, and my brother have for it, respectively). The Women’s Peace Coalition (Women in Black + The Kosova Women’s Network) held a conference on women, peace, & security, to share experiences of the war, lobby for women’s involvement in the Kosovo Final Status Negotiations—and peacemaking in general, and build relationships.


It was amazing to hear the Kosovar women talk about their experiences, start crying & say, “I thought I would never cry in front of a Serb.” It was powerful to listen to a young Serb man apologize for all that had been done in his name, to ask for some kind of forgiveness.


Every few months or so, I have experiences that remind me why I am here, that make me feel like I am in the right place, that there is some meaning to the crooked path that brought me here.


This weekend was one of those times.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh please rachel stop with this propaganda! and serbian men being guilty and poor albanians men didnt do shit to serbian women! and its not kosova but kosovo!!!!you know much much less than you think you do! if you do, then move to kosovo so you feel their pain. leave belgrade now.

     
  • At 4:01 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    anonymous one-

    Don't put words in my mouth . . . I said nothing about Albanian men's guilt or innocence nor meant to imply anything. I used 'Kosova' because it's the name of the organization - Kosova Women's Network. Take your complaint up with them.

    There are times that I do want to leave, when I want to return to a land where one's vowel usage does not invite abuse.

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know its them who use kosova but just you being around it or around those poor alb women,makes you guilty as well. I think you should leave when you re so sensitive. Bye.

     
  • At 1:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was just hopping through blogs when I found the serbian man apologizing comment. Are you certain that he was serbian? A lot of Shippies (shiptars/albanians) know serbian and make b/s comments. I worked in Kosovo (UNMIK) for a few years and believe me, the serbians are not the bad guys here. I thought otherwise until I saw the truth. Remember, the truth is always between the lines...

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I worked in Kosovo (UNMIK) for a few years and believe me, the serbians are not the bad guys here. I thought otherwise until I saw the truth."

    You should share your experiences. I think Rachel is there to promote Muslim and anti-Serb propaganda. The west sponsors this kind of "help" for Serbs. Does it help Serbs get their homes back? No, the opposite. Does it feed the refugees. No. Does it bring positive investment or business? No. Does it promote high culture? No. Nothing, but propaganda.

    "Isn't it strange how all these negative comments and would-be critics are always anonymous?"

    Isn't it strange how all the busybody "peace activists" promote the more ethnically cleansed areas wherever they land and operate, and that once a territory is cleansed of the politically incorrect people, they stop tampering in the area. They are only there to help promote and use the politically correct (and deserving people) in their homeland government's view against the country they've targeted for ruin and destruction.

    By the way Kosovo Albanian boys, aged 10 and 13, in Switzerland raped a 5-year-old girl this summer. I wonder why Kosovo Albanian grade school kids aren't apologizing in the name of their culture and parentage. The Kosovo Albanians have been involved in human trafficking, forced prostitution, and heavy crimes throughout Europe, especially Britain. Nothing is being done to make them apologize for all their crimes, much less alleged and unsubstantiated propaganda claims during a war, and they start young - in their mid-teens.

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    FYI: the 'allegedly Serbian' man is a ethnically Serb, he's a friend of mine.

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For Viktor: anonymous person's name is bojana kesic. does it mean anything to you?? cc..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home