Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Like cannedpeas

My father is the only member of my immediate family who can stomach canned peas. When my brother and I were younger, he told us that the secret to eating them is not to think of them as peas, but as a different vegetable entirely, cannedpeas. If you’re expected peas, you’ll be disappointed, but they taste okay if you have no expectations.

Banja Luka, where I spent my weekend, is like cannedpeas.

I went there to see K, who continues to be lovely and amazing and one of my favorite people within a 7 hour radius.

While, I was there, I also took in the city. A recent newspaper story in Banja Luka called the city a metropolis. It is not a metropolis; it is a nice town. It doesn’t feel like a capital city. Possibly, that is because it is not the capital of a country, but the capital of an entity, the Serbian part of Bosnia. It’s the capital of half of the country. (I didn’t even attempt to understand the Bosnian political scene – I did not have enough time for all of its complications.) Banja Luka has high government buildings and the river and old castle/fortress required of every Serbian city. If you’re not expecting a capital city, it’s a lovely town surrounded by beautiful hills. It’s a good place to wander around – even if it rained the entire weekend.

For my last meal in Banja Luka, K and I went to a ‘Mexican’ restaurant. It was very much a cannedpeas experience. I had been warned in advance to not expect anything approaching authentic, so I was free to enjoy Bosno-Mexican cuisine.

I ordered the vegetable fajitas. The grilled vegetables presented to me included peppers, mushrooms, potatoes, peas, and beans. The tortillas were surprisingly good and authentic. The sauces were a different story. The ‘salsa’ was cocktail sauce and the other sauce was ranch dressing. I learned that tortillas filled with grilled vegetables and ranch dressing make a rather satisfying meal. It’s just not one that could be called Mexican.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are right, it IS a nice li'l city, if you don't expect a capital. In fact, it is a village pretending to be a city. And of course, eating at "Master's" is not the best advice onecan get if one gets to BL for the first time.

    On the other hand: people are extremely nice, and, given the economic situation, surprisingly cheerful. If you want average - mind you, average, not really GOOD - food, go to Borac, a nondescript place near the city stadium. What the kitchen lacks in finesse, the personell makes up by being exra courteous - and even the British EUFOR soldiers behave there - they don't find te exit, after a while (guess why) but they are extremely well behaved.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Funny, I think my early pea experiences were all with canned peas, to where I really didn't like fresh or frozen peas, I was expecting them to be like canned. (Of course nowadays I prefer non-canned).
    -Alison

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jill said…

    i hate peas, canned or otherwise, but wanted to chime in on my own mexican restaurant adventures---in abidjan, ivory coast. i was expecting sizzle, but there was none. the guacomole was nearly right. there were small, thin things that wanted to be tortillas and were probably as close as you could get to being tortillas without being tortillas. likewise, a pretty close approximation and a satisfying meal.

     
  • At 2:10 AM, Blogger JBoombostick said…

    Greetings from Georgia. I am an Architect and a huge fan of the history of the Balkans. I hope to visit one day, I have family that immigrated to America from Belgrade during WW1. I have read many books about the Balkans and could probably write my own from all that I have learned. Ahyhow, thanks for the read, I will be back.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home