Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

How do you say ‘adventure’ in Hindi?

I just saw Water, an amazing Canadian Hindi language film about widows in India in the 1930s. Beautiful, powerful. The actors are amazing, communicating so much with a glance or a gesture, which is most convenient, as I was busy writing down every subtitle.

Women in Black is hoping to show the film during upcoming seminars. Unfortunately, unsurprisingly there is not yet a Serbian-subtitled edition of the film. My transcription was the first step in the creation of a Serbian translation of the dialogue that people will be able to use when they watch it.

The film, along with viewing the online photo album of a friend who was just traveling there has renewed my desire to go to India. I was invited to a wedding in Hyderabad in November, but am not attending for financial, time, and emotional (The groom and I were dating 14 months ago.) reasons.


For now, I will just have to settle for cooking up some curried eggplant with potatoes (Bittman p. 570) and rewatching Bend it Like Beckham.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    India scares me..too many people and dirt around..

     
  • At 1:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel,
    Got a friend in Mumbai, she's not too happy living there, (lots of poverty and beggars), but visiting's different.
    Go for it, you only live once.
    Is the cookbook really good? I see that he's got a vegetarian cookbook too. I need a break from Jamie Oliver...

    best,
    Milica

     
  • At 5:29 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    The cookbook is incredible - the only one I brought here with me. I was living with a friend who had it and when he moved out, I immediately bought myself a copy. I am dependent on it to a rather sad extent.

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger fatrobot said…

    Water was an awesome movie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home