Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Book Report

School started in Belgrade yesterday. I woke up to the sound of children playing at the elementary school across the street. There were long lines outside all of the stores selling school supplies last night. In high school, I was always required to show up on the first day of school with a series of essays on books that I had read over the summer. In keeping with that, here is what I read on my recent 24-hours-over-4-days on the bus.


Balkan Ghosts by Robert D. Kaplan

I was predisposed to not like this book after reading in a far superior book that is was the only book on the region that Clinton read before the NATO intervention in Kosovo. Power argued that the way the conflicts in the region were presented greatly informed Clinton’s belief that conflicts here are intractable. I refuse to believe that any conflict is intractable.



The travelogue aspects of the book are entertaining, as is the biographical sketches of the people he meets in Bulgaria and Romania, but I think the book to too reliant on analogy in its explanations of the region. True, the American audience of the book doesn’t know very much about the Balkans, but calling Kosovo ‘The Balkan West Bank,’ and the Soviet Union ‘The New Ottoman Empire’ (not to mention analogizing Athens and Beirut) is lazy and inaccurate. It made me angry; at times I had to put the book down. (I spent some time thinking about what analogies I would use – I think I would compare Kosovo with Kurdistan, but most people in the west don’t know too much about Kurdistan either, so it’s not a very useful analogy.)


The author also likes to emphasize the exoticness of the region, explicitly stating that he did not spend time in or write about Timisoara, Romania because it was too ‘Central European.’ The Balkans are unusual and interesting, but even Timisoara has aspects of the bizarre (such as ‘My Fair Lady’ in Romanian). It seems like a disservice to the region to only seek out and catalog the most foreign-to-a-western-audience aspects, but it does make for a more entertaining travelogue.


And now a book that I actually like:

War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges


I read this book a few years ago & liked it, but wasn’t blown away. It’s one of K-in-Banja-Luka’s favorite books, so I thought I would try it again. Simply amazing. Hedges is a journalist who has spent most of his professional life working in war zones. He was also a student at Harvard Divinity School. He writes about the seductive nature of war, how society shifts during war time and values are inverted. He writes quite a bit about the conflicts in Bosnia and Kosova. His explanations of the start of the conflicts – ethnic divisions manipulated for political purposes and the self-interest of those in power –are much more convincing to me than Kaplan’s. (Or maybe it's what I need to believe. If the conflicts are unsolvable, why am I here?) And it’s beautifully written, like a really well-constructed sermon in which excerpts from classic literature, personal experience, and current events are woven together to deliver a powerful message:

‘to survive as a human being is possible only through love... It does not mean we will avoid war or death. It does not mean that we as distinct individuals will survive. But love, in its mystery, has its own power. It alone gives us meaning that endures. It alone allows us to embrace and cherish life. Love has power both to resist in our nature what we know we must resist and to affirm what we know we must affirm. And love, as the poets remind us, is eternal.'

And somehow he manages to make it sound much less heavy-handed than I do in my little review.

7 Comments:

  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Bg anon said…

    I agree completely! As you noted Kaplans book is lazy and written in a rather innacurate, patronising and simplistic way.

    Where does he get off inventing the new names like Old Serbia etc?

    I am not sure about the genre either. A political travel book - perhaps it can be done well but not by Kaplan.

    I suppose you read the eddition where somebody claims that Clinton read this book for a good understanding on the region? No wonder they made so many policy mistakes.

    I'd like to give that Hedges book a read.

     
  • At 3:51 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    Kaplan didn't invent 'Old Serbia.' Rebecca West used it in 'Black Lamb & Grey Falcon,' her definitive travelogue of the region (published in the early 1940s, over 1,000 pages long, quite amazing, probably still the best known book on the Balkans in the west).

     
  • At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Rachel,

    All I can say -- Rebecca West's book is still the best and most perceptive book on the Balkans that I've read. Regarding the Kurdistan and Kosovo comparison -- there's slight difference -- the Kurds have no land to call their own, while Kovovar Albanians do-- it's called Albania. Macedonians are also having great problems dealing with them too.
    The term "ethnic cleansing" was actually coined during the 1980s by the YU Communist government in order to describe the separatist movement in Kosovo, and the enthnic segregation in the region. I'm not a political scientist, but it seems that "Serbian Gaza" has already cost too many lives, and a bit of land is hardly an excuse for keeping it up. Separation of Kosovo would significantly reduce the economic burden, as well as the stress-level in Serbia. Also, all the Serbian historic monuments there would be much better protected by the UNICEF than they're being protected now. It's become quite apparent that most of the Serbs have left the area, and very few would dare ever return.

    best,

    Milica

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    Milica-

    Your'e right about the Kurdistan analogy. After further reflection, I realize that it isn't the best. I was thinking that UNMIK-controlled Kosovo is a bit similar to mostly-autonomous Iraqi Kurdistan.

    Maybe pre-independence East Timor (which I admittedly know very little about) is a better analogy.

    Or maybe analogies are just useless and lazy.

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Bg anon said…

    Yes thats right - I have a copy of Wests book in my collection. Unfortunately never got round to reading it - that may be do with the fact that its so heavy that its impossible to carry around.

     
  • At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    KCLS, my library has "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon" on 36 cassettes (54 hours of listening). Also not protable, but it may be the way I can tackle it.
    Momdre

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger bytycci said…

    Why everyone likes to make analogies? The truth is there is no good analogy for Kosovo. And there is no need for an analogy.

    Balkan Ghosts is a racist book! Period! It is not worth reading.

    Best

     

Post a Comment

<< Home