Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Friday, September 15, 2006

back to school

I'm back in Serbian classes, which is good for my grammar, but bad for my mental health.

One of my teachers is an insufferable old-school conservative Montenegrin nationalism all-around bad guy. I wouldn't care so much about his politics if he was a good teacher, but he isn't. He likes to talk politics with us, which is lazy teaching and unfair. We really don't have the capacity to make good arguments in Serbian, so he always wins by default.

Yesterday, he turned the topic to religion. He told us how each country should only have one church. American pluralist and secularist that I am, I argued that point, attempting to say that having many churches gives people many choices and keeps church leaders from becoming to powerful. He countered with, 'but churches aren't political parties.' My response was, 'but they act like them' (except filled with stupid grammatical mistakes for sure).

He then moved onto insulting Islam, which brought the Moroccan student into the discussion. She speaks well, so her points were much more coherent than mine.

He's so frustrating, but at least he motivates me to study.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel,

    Please don't get him get away with it. That's how the likes of him have ruled the country for decades -- Milosevic, Karadzic, and 90% of the generals in the YU army were all Montenegrians.
    A good question for him would be why he's teaching Serbian in Serbia-- why doesnt he go to Montenegro, since now it's separate country? Besides, the dialect they speak there could only be compared to Texan, so what kind od Serbian are you learning there?

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why don't you change your teacher? If you allow me, I would like to recommend you Serbian Workshop (www.srpskijezik.edu.yu), they are really cool.

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel,
    [i]I feel your pain![/i]

    Or at least I did!

    -anonex

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Been there... Sometimes I just stayed in bed when I knew it was his turn to teach. His theories on homosexuality got me fuming with anger. It's so annoying when you're lacking the words/grammar to retort. Still enjoyed my classes most of the time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home