Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, November 28, 2005

Kraguyevac

I spent the weekend in Kraguyevac, Serbia's fourth largest city. My guidebook notes that the city is known for the massive number of people murdered there under German occupation in WWII, a statue of an autoworker, and for a building that looks like a basalt crystal.

But I was not there for sightseeing.

WiB held a workshop "Dealing with the Past - a Feminist Approach." Part feminist conscious-raising, part post-conflict studies seminar, it was amazing. I spent the weekend intellectually stimulated (the list of authors I now must read is tremendous, as is the list of things to ponder) & emotionally satisfied. We spent hours discussing notions of collective responsibility & transitional justice. Such interesting discussion occurred, namely "what does it mean for me as a Serb that people jusified atrocities by saying they were acting in my interest?" Yes, I am a nerd. Yes, I get really excited about ideas.

And not only ideas. I like to be with good people. The love and support amongst these 40 women from all over Serbia was palpable. I recieved applause every time I joined the group discussion speaking Serbian. We spent Saturday night drinking wine and singing songs. The other American and I led a rousing rendition of 'American Pie' (at least the first 3 verses). A dance party followed in which The Doors were featured prominently. I sat down beside a woman I didn't know for lunch on Saturday & by the end of the meal she was making plans for my visit to her town in a few weeks.

I have had some small doubts about whether I should have signed up for 2 years in this sometimes-frustrating place. This weekend put them all to rest.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Sounds like a fabulous time, Rachel. You're making this nerd want to read more as well.

     
  • At 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well , correct name of the city in latine letters will be:

    a) Kragujevac /presently used

    b) Kragouyevats

    c) Kragouyevatz

    b & c used as in various German and French texts from 16 - 19 century

    The name comes from thw word
    "Kraguj" which means "Sparrow-hawk" in Serbian langauge. It is a small sort of predator-bird which was largely present there in previous centuries /now is endangered specie/

     

Post a Comment

<< Home