Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Thursday, November 10, 2005

My big break

I forgot about election day this week, but I suppose you forgot about 'International Day of Action against Fascism' yesterday, so we're even.

WiB had a big demonstration on the central square. I stood with a sign that said "Women in Black - Belgrade," making small talk with a fellow demonstrator. [I can do passable small talk in Serbian: 'where are you from?' 'do you work?' 'do you have a family?' 'Who do you live with?' 'what do you like to do?' - I just can't say anything interesting yet.] Lots of people gathered to watch, although I thought we weren't that much to see. Women laid on the ground to symbolize persecuted groups and then rose and unfurled a gigantic rainbow flag. Then, the music started & the surreality began. The selection was vulgar vulgar songs by Peaches (does she make any other kind?), words that are not allowed on American TV blasted through the central square of Belgrade. People started juggling. So very strange.

After the demonstration ended, we had a little party in the office, a going away fiesta for the woman I am replacing here. We watched the national news & our demonstration was featured. My face appeared for a split second on Serbian TV.

And now I am famous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home