Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Sunday, October 30, 2005

street scene

There are street vendors all over the place here. I like it - I bought a lovely purple $2 scarf from one of them yesterday. Most of the items are to be expected: the aforementioned scarfs, cigarettes, batteries, keychains, socks, underwear, sweaters - but some of the items on offer puzzle me. Right near my office, there is a man who sells shoe laces in every color and pattern imaginable. There are quite a few of these stands throughout the city. My Teach Yourself Serbian book even saw fit to have a closeup of those shoelaces on its cover. Yet I have only seen about 5 people since my arrival in Belgrade wearing crazily colored shoe laces - and I have looked. I don't understand how he is still there.

There is also a man who sells bunnies. Who walks down the street and decides to buy a rabbit? He apparently does have some business. When I walked past early yesterday he had five bunnies. Later in the day, he had 2. There are small bunnies - I don't think their big enough to eat.

And my favorite of the street vendors is "the man with the bathroom scale." There are quite a few of them about, charging 10-20 dinars (75 dinars = $1) for you to step on the scale and weigh yourself. Who wants to be weighed on the street, fully dressed, with onlookers? Again, I do not understand.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger markowe said…

    Heh, they are oft referred to by the sellers as "dwarf rabbits" ("patuljasti zecevi"), suggesting that they will not grow into the hulking great grass-eating monsters they inevitably do, but stay cute all their lives.

    Don't believe the patter! There ARE no "dwarf rabbits", as many of my friends in Serbia have found to their cost.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home