Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

buy a vowel

The Serbian language loves those consonants, but is not a huge fan of vowels. I suppose that's unsurprising for a language that calls itself "srpski." These words look like something that would appear on your computer screen if you just type keys as fast as you could:

trg: square
smrt: death
cetvrtak: Thursday
znam: I know
prvi: first
crno: black

They tell me that 'R' is technically a verb in Serbian, as it is pronounced "er," but I am not convinced.

Also: WiB made the front page of the local leftist/intellectual newspaper yesterday for our small protest outside the National Assembly. I was going to include a link, but I figured no one would want to see photos of people they don't know (I'm not in them) or look at a language they do not understand.

3 Comments:

  • At 12:34 AM, Blogger Bora Zivkovic said…

    You mean "R is technically a vowel". That is correct. Crn crv na crvenom trgu bezrbrizno izbrisa krmeljiv i krvavi grm sa trnjem. There! LOL

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger Katja R. said…

    There was an article in the Onion, during the Bosnian War about the airdropping of life-giving vowels on BiH so that the people could speak to foreigners I gues.
    Of course written Arabic and Hebrew, Aramaic, and Welsh don't have that many vowels either.

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "r" is a vowel....like in English, "y" is also sometimes a vowel...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home