Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Movie Madness

I went to the cinema yesterday night. It was lovely. The theater, called Tuckwood, was lovely. All of the theaters were very small. I was in the row F (yes - assigned seats) and it was the last row. But there is stadium seating and chairs that feel like armchairs. Each screening room was named after a movie star of old. I was in the the Humphrey Bogart room. There was also James Dean, Rita Hayworth & Lauren Bacall. They serve beer, but no pizza.

And I saw Hotel Ruanda (one guess about its name in English), which was excellent. I guess they were a little slow in sticking Serbian (they were actually Coatian- yes I can tell the difference. I learned last week that the Croatians have a different way of constructing "I have to. . . " statements.) subtitles on it. Wedding Crashers, Bewitched, and the new Zorro movie were my other options. It makes me happy to think that I might be able to see a little bit of independent cinema now and again.

The theater was quite empty - there were about ten of us. I think think that's because it costs about as much to buy a pirated DVD on a street corner as it does to pay for a ticket. But I don't really want to own Hotel Rwanda & there's something to be said for reliable quality, a big screen, and leaving the house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home