Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

as blonde as the ocean

I try not to complain about the Serbian language. It's hard & makes me think about words in new ways, but that is the case for any language. I need to learn it & complaing does me no good. But some elements of Serbian are beyond absurd.

Today in class, we learned how to physically describe people: height, build, eye color, hair color, etc. The word for a blonde woman is plavusa (with a mark over the s to turn it into a 'sh' sound.) Plav is blue. The literal translation of the word is "blue-haired." I don't get it.

I know (natural) blondes are rare in these parts, but I would think people would know blondes' hair is yellow.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I never really got that either, but it kind of makes sense. Blondes usually have blue eyes, right? That's the only "logic" I can think of anyway...

     
  • At 2:48 PM, Blogger Belgrade Daily Photo said…

    I always think of the blue color of hair bleach. A long while back I bleached my hair out with the maximum strength stuff (with the intention to put bright colors over it) and there was a blue powder you mixed in with the liquidy/cream stuff. Though for all I know it was only that one brand.

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    in japan, they call a black hair green because deep deep if u look at it, it is green. the same goes for blue..the background for blonde is blue.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home