Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, November 28, 2005

Gobble.

I was worried that I wouldn't get a Thanksgiving in these parts, but I did.

Some of the aforementioned study abroaders were back in town. I was invited along to a Thanksgiving at their friends' flat. It was everyone else's first Thanksgiving sans family, so there was much nostalgia. Parent's e-mailed favorite recipes & my not-so-cooking-inclined companions tried to recreate them with the ingredients available here. I learned that walnut pie is a surprisingly good variant on pecan pie. I was reminded how important it is to cook potatoes all the way through.

It was all slightly off. There was no broccoli or brussel sprout (which I never eat, but should still be present) or homemade bread or apple pie or cranberry sauce.

We sat around talking, eating, drinking, playing cards, giving each other geo-quizes (name all of the oceans/EU members/countries in South America) being frequently interrupted when someone's family called on the cellphone.

All in all, it was fun. Good companions, good food, good wine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home