Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I'm the old one

On Monday, a group of American college students from the School for International Training (the program I went to Nicaragua with) came to the office. They are based in Zagreb & came through Belgrade to talk to some Women in Black & other civil society activists.

At the end of the talk, the director, an American who has lived in the Balkans for the past 20 years, gave me her card & invited me out with them last night.

We went to Tri Sheshtra (three hats), a traditional Serbian restaurant on my favorite Belgrade street (cobblestone, pedestrian-only). There was a band - accordian, clarinet, violin, upright bass, guitar - playing traditional music. Most of the diners sang along. As the menu was mostly meat & there were a number of vegetarians in the group, we shared appetizers - super salty cheese, Serbian salad (cucumbers, hot peppers, tomatoes, and onions), the Serbian version of the chile relleno, baked beans, cornbread, & rolls.

The study abroad group was only 6 (mine was 16) & they had been together for a month. They were close & I spent much of the conversation being filled in by the student next to me about what everyone was alluding to. But it was nice. It was comfortable. Everyone spoke fluent English. I did feel very old, though - I did study abroad five years ago.

I did secure myself a place to stay when I go to Zagreb - with the academic director, which is excellent. Currently, when anyone goes to Zagreb, they have to stay with my boss's crazy husband who likes to talk about the best way to remove someone's fingernails.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    It's a bit odd that the director of a pacifist org is married to someone who likes to discuss torture. How does this happen?

     
  • At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I suggest you start eating meat. At least seafood. They probably don't have seafood there much, though.
    Still, fresh meat is tasty.

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    eww...

     
  • At 10:07 AM, Blogger rachel said…

    My take on the meat thing: I've decided that I eat meat when it is served to me, but I don't ask for it. A fine line, to be sure, but it makes sense to me.

    When people cook for me, there is often meat involved. If I don't eat it, it goes to waste - which I think is even worse than consuming it. If I eat it, at least some energy/nutrition can be derived.

     
  • At 4:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I ate fish when living in Japan for 2 months under those circumstances. I'd probably do the same under yours.

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Blogger Katja R. said…

    @amanda yeah that is wierd, maybe the director can AFFORD to be a pacefist cuz she married her a pitbull :)
    @ rachel, eminently reasonable decision, although I'm sure there's decent fresh-water fish available in Serbia.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home