Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

29 channels and nothing to watch

Tired from all of the activity in my home/office and happy that everyone else had left, I sat down last night with my quilting and a mango drinkable yogurt in front of the TV.

Belgrade TV is interesting, a collection of things that I don't understand. There's fashionTV, which from what I can tell only broadcasts footage of models walking down the catwalk. There's a collection of local TV stations that I do not yet understand. There's the Hallmark Channel, which I had in Nicaragua too, that only broadcasts wholesome, melodramatic made-for-TV movies. There's CNN international (which means that I can watch The Daily Show at 1:30 on Saturday mornings or at 9:30 on Saturday nights). There's EuroNews, CNN's European cousin. The only two American channels that we get here are The History Channel and the National Geographic Channel. I do not understand why these channels. There are also a few music channels that seem to split the videos that they show between American country music and Serbian rap. Again, I do not understand.

And lots of subtitled Latin American telenovelas that I can listen to, but don't think I should. I'm trying to keep the Serbian and the Spanish seperate in my head.

So last night I watched some CNN footage of the South Asian earthquake, a feature story on the beginning of Serbia's partnership talks with the EU on Euronews, and part of a subtitled One Night at McCool's, which is terrible.

I switched to The Daily Show clips online and was much happier.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I humbly submit that "One Night at McCool's" is somewhat enjoyable. It's a fractured storyline! That worked so great in Pulp Fiction!

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    You are wrong. It is terrible.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home