Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Friday, September 07, 2007

Because I don’t spend enough time online as it is

Much to my brother’s surprise, I recently joined facebook.


It is all part of a larger campaign. I am trying to ease my way back into people’s lives at home. I am well aware that I play a relatively small role in the day-to-day lives of friends and family back home. They can’t call me up to go to the movies; all of our interactions are mediated through computer screens or telephone lines. It would be presumptuous of me to assume I can walk back in and expropriate their Friday nights and Saturday afternoons for my own purposes.

I am slowly trying to increase my presence, as best as can be done from here. I am working hard – but maybe not succeeding particularly well – at writing better and more frequent e-mails. I am sending more postcards, which visiting J appropriately calls ‘Remember me? I love you!’-o-grams.

And after receiving an invite from A, I joined facebook, which I am learning is a great devourer of time. This prong of my re-entry plan isn’t going as effectively as I would like, as so far, about 75% of my facebook friends live outside of the US. (Most are members of my volunteer program.)


But, at least I will be able to keep in better touch with them.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I recently joined facebook too! haha i was on myspace too but got sick of it and deleted my account there..MK has facebook account too.
    Ivana (we met once with/thru MK)...
    ps.what is ur facebook name?

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    I tried to search for you and didn't find you - my last name is 'Long.' - Please find me.

     
  • At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok, i think I found you but there are too many RL...but not too many of them from Serbia..so..i hope its you..if not, i ll search again.
    I have to go now..but lets meet for a coffee with MK sometimes soon..
    ivana
    ps.i am leaving for geneva soon and u re leaving BG so we should go out before that happens! :)

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel,
    when are you leaving Belgrade?
    Ivana (mk's friend)

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    She said she'd be back in the U.S. by Thanksgiving which is November 22 - 2 months away.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home