Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, August 06, 2007

on holiday

I know discussing how busy one is is among the most boring of conversation topics. Still, I will mention it. The previous two weeks were a flurry of working weekends, proof-reading and translation. I proof-read about 500 pages of tolerably well-translated texts, shaping them into something truly coherent. Not the most fun time. But, although I had my doubts, it did all get done before I left BGD last Friday.

I am in the land of people driving on the wrong side of the road (I always look the wrong way when crossing the street - I will probably adjust just in time to look the wrong way when I return to Belgrade.) and excellent cheddar cheese and weather that makes a Seattle October look balmy by comparison. I walked along the beach on Saturday and went to the ruins of a monster's bridge.

It's weird to be in a mostly English speaking place again- it's been months. (There is some Irish language about too.) And this is my first time in a English speaking place that isn't in North America. It's refreshing to not feel like a jerkface expecting others to accomodate my language deficiencies, although on my first evening here, I couldn't understand a word that N's roommate said; his accent was so thick.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do you still attend language classes in Serbia?

    How would you describe your comprehension level now? How about when it comes to watching their television programming or reading magazines and newspapers?

    When you meet people and they realize that English is your first language do they make the effort to speak English with you?

     
  • At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    are you still in serbia WIB? I'm sort of tracking your adventurous life. gina

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    regards and take care.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    Gina,

    I'm sorry that you couldn't come here this summer, but I am happy to have you reading my blog.

    Best wishes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home