Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A bit more drama


I had long suspected my friend R of having more than platonic feelings towards me.


I don’t reciprocate such emotions, but I didn’t know how to address the situation. We speak Serbian together, so anything I would say would lack nuance. But, even if we communicated in English, I still wouldn’t know what to say. An unprompted ‘just so you know, I am not attracted to you’ seems like the height of presumption and rudeness. Is there a way to nip it in the bud?


Last night, I had my prompting to say such things. Over lemonade in Kalemegdan, R told me that he loved me, that he has loved me practically since we met. He even managed to work a few mentions of marriage into this declaration of love. ('Very Austen-esque' was JW’s commentary.)


I told him that he is my friend, that I don’t want to date him. (The thought of marrying anyone at this point in my life is horrifying.) I tried to be as diplomatic and ethical as I could. After I said that I didn’t love him, he suggested I take a month to think it over. Since he had been thinking about telling me this for a month, I should take a month to respond was the thought process. In the abstract, I suppose there is some logic there, in reality: not so much. I told him that I wasn’t going to change my decision, but he insisted, saying I could take even until September if I needed to. I lost the argument; I will be having this same awkward conversation again in July.


After this conversation played out, I made a move to go home. He asked that I stick around for twenty more minutes, as his bus runs infrequently at night. I acquiesced to that small thing; it was an awkward twenty minutes.


It’s hard to talk about movies after a declaration of love.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:51 PM, Blogger Jonathan Davis said…

    I think you seem to have handled this situation well, but you ought to tell him that a month to think about it is not necessary.

    Reassure him that in the event your feeling for him ever change you will tell him directly, but for now, if you intend to remain friends you are need to know if you can trust him to respect your choice?

    If not, suggest a cooling off period of a month so his feelings (and embarrassment) can subside.

    I am not signed up to this idea that men cannot be friends with women they are attracted to. I would have practically no female friends as the majority are beautiful, charming and kind women. The trick is to have simple respect, good manners and be a consummate gentleman. Obey the Buddhist commandment: "Do not take or attempt to take what is not offered".

    One should offer one's friendship (and even love or admiration) in a chivalrous way, without conditions related to receiving some benefit (like sex or relationship).

    Is there anything more disappointing than finding out someone's kindness and charm were all an act - completely contingent on an outcome they desired and completely revoked if they do not get their way?

    Help R to be big about this. Praise his honesty, his bravery in telling you his true feelings. Thank him for his offer and then expect him to be magnanimous and gentlemanly about it all. Let him know that you will see his response to this situation as a measure of his character.

    I predict he will rise to the level of your expectation and you may have yourself a lifelong friend.

    Kind regards

    Jonathan
    http://www.limbicnutrition.com/blog/

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    Thanks...

    Now if only I could say such things in Serbian.

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Blogger Jonathan Davis said…

    Do you have his e-mail address? Write down you're message in English. Have a female Serbian friend translate it. Send it to him with some obvious errors to pretend you were the person who wrote it in Serbian.

     
  • At 3:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Zašto me ne voliš, o, Amerikanko?

    O, zašto?

    Došla si u moj život sa plaža tmurne zapadne obale, ali umesto kiše donela si bajkovito prolećno sunce.

    Hteo sam da ti skinem zvezda s neba. Hteo sam da s tobom krstarim po Sredozemlju. Hteo sam da ti čitam rusku poeziju.

    Sujeto, taštino i nesrećo, zajedničko ime vam je Rahela.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home