Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

disappointment at the movies...

In the past few weeks, I saw two of the big summer blockbusters, Spider-Man 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean 3. Both of them could have been much much better. Why do movie-makers now feel the need to make plots so convoluted? The moment Pirates 3 ended, I turned to my movie watching companion and said, ‘I can’t tell you what happened in that movie?’ That shouldn’t happen. I should be able to recount the plot of a summer blockbuster…

The reviewer at slate.com described the watching that movie as passing 'through confusion and boredom into a state of Buddhist passivity.’ So true. And while Johnny was easy on the eyes, he wasn’t ridiculous or quotable in the way he was in the first of the series. Disappointment. And why did his entrance involve his nose taking up the whole screen? I mean, I'm sure there are a number of people in the audience there purely because of his beauty... why do that?

But hope does spring eternal, as they say. I just finished a New York Times Magazine article about Judd Apatow, the creator of Freaks and Geeks, my favorite television show ever. He’s coming out with a new film this summer and it features about half the cast from that show. It’s good to see that Martin Starr is getting work.

Now, if only it makes it to screens in Belgrade

1 Comments:

  • At 4:49 AM, Blogger Momdre said…

    I haven't figured out how to put links in my comments, but I wanted to let you know the director and actor were interviewed on Fresh Air tonight (May 31).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home