Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Ekstra Fanci

The number of English words that have crept into Serbian is quite astounding and I am very thankful for all of them.

My favorites, though, are the words that don’t mean the same thing in Serbian. None of these words have yet become proper Serbian, but I enjoy them.

In Tutin, I met a girl who said the word ‘extra,’ or as it is spelled here, ‘ekstra’ all the time. But for her, it is a synonym of good. ‘That’s really extra.’ So amusing.

M and her friends use the word ‘fancy’ as a pejorative for the Pink/Grand/kitsch culture that is dominant here and that they strongly dislike. Most people don’t use the word with any negative connotation. Even though I know that, I was a bit taken aback when M’s mom told me that I looked ‘fanci’ on the day I left Zaječar.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your spelling of Serbian version of "fancy" is way off. It should be "fensi".

     
  • At 2:12 AM, Blogger rachel said…

    really?

    I'll spot you the 'e;' I sometimes have trouble hearing vowels, but I could swear that I hear the 'ts' of the Serbian 'c' in that word. Could we chalk it up to regional variations?

     
  • At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    No, no, this ain't the regional variations. It's your not-yet-properly-calibrated American ears.

    The sound you heard is definitely not 'ts' (represented in Serbian by letter "C" ("Ц" in cyrillic alphabet)), unless the individual(s) you're using as your reference have a speech impediment. Or are simply too misinformed, the poor souls, and insist on pronouncing "fancy" as 'фaнци' instead of 'фeнcи', but this would be pretty far fetched even for someone from a backwater dump such as Tutin or Zaječar.

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    Ok. I concede the point... Maybe I was confused because 'fancy' in English has something approaching a 'ts' sound in it.

    Regardless, you win.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home