Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Thursday, August 23, 2007

90 days


I was looking at my calendar a few days ago. I realized that, at most, I have 90 days left until I leave Belgrade. Counting backwards, I realized that I am equidistant between last May and going home. And May seems recent.


I might be leaving even sooner, though. I still haven’t bought my ticket—I have to wait for my replacement to be chosen and the details to be worked out with her. I just know I will be home by Thanksgiving.


For months, I have been telling myself that I don’t need to think about what comes next until after I return from Northern Ireland. That milestone has passed; time to start planning.


I alternate between excitement and terror at returning to the states. I am beyond excited to see family and friends and return to the world of easy eavesdropping, cheap ethnic food, and excellent thrift stores, but I am scared that it will be hard as well, that I will forget the Serbian I have spent endless hours acquiring, that I won’t be able to find a job that I like, that I have built up an idealized version of home that reality will disappoint, that I won’t be able to integrate my experience here into the next phase of my life, that I will bore everyone I meet with an endless series of ‘In Belgrade…’ stories. I know I will miss the life I have built for myself here and the friends I have made. If only Seattle-Belgrade was an easier commute…


I am trying to motivate myself to tackle some of this over the weekend, as I will have keys to an out-of-town friend’s air conditioned DSL-equipped flat.


Wish me luck.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel,
    All i have to say is BRAVO! you made it and you have been trying here in almost everything you did and that's what it counts...and the best part, you learned a bit Serbian and I think you even feel Serbia is a bit a part of you.
    I really appreciate that.
    Good luck in everything and dont forget Belgrade!
    Ivana

     
  • At 5:30 AM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Luck... and love.

     
  • At 3:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i just met a fellow student from serbia here and she was a woman wearing black....

    jill

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Karina said…

    I just came across your blog, it's great! I had to leave a comment here because I had a "YES, THAT'S SO TRUE!" moment when I read your phrase "return to the world of easy eavesdropping." I'm living in Belgrade now and haven't started really learning Serbian yet, and I find that I'm completely tuning out people around me since I can't understand what they are saying. We take eavesdropping for granted back home, it's so strange, and life is less interesting when you can't understand the casual conversations of strangers. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home