Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, October 23, 2006

The third R

As a long-time resident of the Left Coast, recycling is something that matters to me. Washing out tin cans and sorting plastics was second nature. Setting overflowing recycling bins and a half-empty garbage can out for weekly trash pick-up made me feel a little proud.

Here, in the land of nearly-no recycling, I always feel a twinge of guilt when I toss a plastic bottle or a scrap of paper in the garbage. I have seen a few places to drop of recyclables in Greater Belgrade, but always in out of the way places.

I care about the earth, but not enough to take a 20 minute bus ride each way with my recyclables.

But now the guilty twinges are over. This morning, I spied a recycling collection area while I was walking to my language school. I’ll be able to drop off my plastics and metals and paper easily, taking about 5 steps out of my way.

And as if it is some kind of karmic reward for my new resolve to recycle, the warm sun is shining today - and I might have just conquered the cold that has been plaguing me for weeks. Life is good.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    its ok bc gypsies and some homeless people dig thru the trash bins and pick up the paper stuff and plastic bottles and then they take it themselves to the fabrics that needs it to redo it. they get some money for it. this is how serbia recycle. :-)

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel the same way,
    I've been "trained" in Boston. In the UK I have to say they're rather "wasteful" too. As anonymous already pointed out, the Gypsies do all the good work.
    The problem is, quite a few good monuments (mainly busts made of metal) are being "nicked" from Serbian graveyards every day, since they're rather "valuable" as "recyclables."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home