Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, October 09, 2006

so maybe I am a missionary now

I have always known that my mom is a feminist, but I never knew that her signature chocolate chip cookies are feminist as well.

This weekend, Women in Black—Belgrade celebrated its 15th anniversary with a panel discussion, workshops, the premiere of the documentary in which I can be seen taking off clothes, a photograph exhibit, dance party, meeting, vigil, and contemporary audio-visual art performance. I made a batch of my mom’s cookies for the party (with the best results that I have had in months. Letting the butter soften for a day beforehand is the secret, I believe.) They were a huge hit—lots of compliments and people asking me for the recipe. I now have an offer to sell them at a pekara in Leskovac.

The following day, I shared the recipe before a meeting. When people read off the final instruction – bake for 6-8 minutes, a woman turned to me to say, ‘these are feminist sweets; you don’t have to spend much time in the kitchen.’

They would be even more feminist if chocolate chips could be found on this continent…

I had never thought about the general complicated-ness of desserts here. The only cookies I have eaten since my arrival have been store-bought or made by ex-pats. The homemade desserts that I have eaten are fancy cakes with lots of delicious layers or baklava, neither of which are quick or easy.

My friend N, calls herself a sweet potato evangelist. She is currently spreading her gospel in Northern Ireland. Maybe I will take a page from her book and call myself a chocolate chip cookie evangelist. Feminist and delicious: that is definitely good news.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Buying a bar of bitter cooking chocolate and chopping it up roughly with a large knife works well and it's quick. It actally tastes better than store-bought chock-chip (I learned this trick from a German woman).
    Regarding previous post, I agree with you, but church's so marginal in Serbia (and most of Europe) that I wouldn't take it seriously at all. In most of the eastern European countries they've "rediscovered" religion, but it's just a fad -- nothing like the "fervor" of the Phillipines for instance.

    best,
    M

    PS When are you leaving SER?

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey i've liked this
    ---> "She always lives somewhere else in the world
    "Move to Bremerton" by MxPx " on ruinedmusic... and then i saw that u live in BG now, man... wierd, that is wierd.


    see ya.

    -lj

     
  • At 3:58 PM, Blogger anna said…

    rachel, read your story on ruined music. excellent.
    now how about forking over that chocolate chip recipe...? i'm all about some feminist cookies.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    ljubomir & anna-

    thanks for the praise.

    I'll have to check with my mom about posting the recipe. Giving it out to a few people I know is one thing, the whole internet is another.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you have my permission to publish the chocolate chip cookie recipe. When a colleague gave it to me, it was called Mrs. Fields Cookies after a cookie-selling chain in malls. But I think they deserve a new name now. Any suggestions??
    Momdre

     

Post a Comment

<< Home