Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Friday, December 09, 2005

It'd be better in Greek

I went to the movies last night to see Paradise Now. There's a film festival going on right now, so I thought I'd take this opportunity to see something a bit more obscure than King Kong or The Transporter 2.

It was okay, what I understood of it (which wasn't much). The film is in Arabic. The subtitles were in Greek and Serbian. I spent most of the movie trying to piece together something from my terrible Arabic & somewhat better Serbian. I read the subtitles looking for familiar words. When I recognized a word, it usually took me a minute to remember what the word meant and to figure out how it was conjugated. By that time, three more lines of dialogue had passed.

Two thirds of the way through the film, I realized that the word that I thought was 'excellent' was actually 'to decide.'

At least I had a good reason for my silence during the post-viewing discussion about how "politically irresponsible" the film is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home