Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

agitated

After two weeks of living in my flat and a few loads of laundry, I finally figured out how to work my washing machine, mostly.

The machine is Slovenian. All of the words on it are in Slovenian. I do not know Slovenian. And I refuse to spend hours in pursuit of a Slovenian-English dictionary. The machine has is a nob with numbers on it & a nearby panel explains those numbers, I assume. I have been turning to different numbers & testing it out. 4 is the magic number. It not only agitates the clothes, but it spins them, AND drains out the water when it's all over.

I would recommend that you never buy a Slovenian washing machine. Along with the aforementioned difficulties, there is a hole in the back of it. It isn't broken -- it was designed that way. As the clothes agitate and spin, water sloshes out. And the machine leaks - which I don't think was part of the manufacturer's specifications. The final step of every load of laundry is covering my bathroom floor with towels and mopping up the water.

Despite all of this, I consider myself relatively fortunate. A friend's washing machine caught on fire yesterday. She had to call the fire department.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    are you serious?
    I have never heard of the Slovenian manufacturing industry.

     
  • At 1:35 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    upon further research (AKA a load of laundry last night) it has been discovered that the main source of the water is not the Slovenian washing machine, but my Serbian plumbing. By placing a jar to catch the drips beneath the pipe that brings water to the washing machine, most of the flood is eliminated.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home