Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, October 08, 2007

sticks and stones... and Neo-Nazis

Yesterday, on our way back from a seminar on ‘Warning Signs of Fundamentalism and Feminist Responses,’ my fellow Women in Black and I attended an anti-fascist rally and march in Novi Sad.


Weeks ago, a collection of neo-Nazi organizations had been given a permit to hold a rally in Novi Sad yesterday (which was Himmler’s birthday). It was later revoked due to a law that prohibits the promotion of ethnic and religious hatred. The groups then vowed to gather without their permit.


Local NGOs thought it was important to stage a counter protest to show that fascism is not welcome in Novi Sad, the main city in Vojvodina, the most ethnically, linguistically, and religiously diverse region of Serbia. I agree with such sentiments and, although I was a bit nervous, thought it was important to participate.


The group I was traveling with arrived a bit late, but quickly found the rest of the Women in Black and picked up banners (Mine read ‘Women in Black against Fascism.’) and Pace rainbow flags. We listened to speeches by representatives of NGOs (including Women in Black’s Marija Perković), professors, and a representative of the local Jewish community before the few thousand of us started to march through the town accompanied by police in full riot gear.


We reached a point where there was a park below street level on the left side of the street, with only a low fence and a row of police officers between the park and the street. A vocal group of fascists was in the park. Since the park was so low and I was on the far side of the street, I didn’t see how many of them there were; I only saw them when they climbed up the fence. Others in the group went to the fence to confront the Nazis. I stayed where I was. Rocks started to fly toward us. A golf ball-sized rock hit me in the shoulder.


I would like to say that this attack didn’t faze me, that I continued to hold my banner and kept marching, but that would be a lie. I dropped my side of the banner and moved further away from the park. My eyes started to well, more from shock, sadness, and lack of sleep than any physical pain. (The rock didn’t even cause a bruise.) My heart was hurting much more than my shoulder; it hurts to think that there are people who think it is permissible to throw stones at (or shoot or bomb, for that matter) people with whom they disagree. This pain grew when rocks, sticks, and bottles starting being thrown into the park as well as from it. I wanted us not to stoop to their level.


I quickly found some familiar faces and tried, in my now especially shaky Serbian, to explain what happened; the tears in my eyes and my hand rubbing my shoulder were much more eloquent than my words. I wanted to sit on the curb, hide behind a car, and weep, but I didn’t. I had Women in Black around me offering hugs, kisses, cookies, and, today, flowers. I stood with a small group far from the fence someone’s arm around me, dodging further projectiles.


After a few more minutes of rocks, accompanied by yelling and possibly the first genuine Hitler salutes I have seen in real life, the police, who had been standing between the two groups the whole time, began to intervene.


L and I walked hand in hand, continuing with the parade route. Later, after we met up with S, the two of them told me, jokingly, ‘Welcome to Serbia,’ and ‘This is normal.’ Even in jest, these words were the most soul-crushing of all. I don’t want to live in a world where such things are normal, where teargas and stones are ordinary responses to peaceful protests, where ideas like fascism and Nazism have an ounce of credibility. I want to live in a world where my heart and soul are not covered in scars and calluses because of the way things are.


Later, N told me, ‘It is time for you to go home.’ At that moment, I wanted nothing more than that, to be home, with family and friends, far from there. It was a selfish impulse; not everyone could escape like that. And it wouldn’t solve anything, except give me some emotional distance, allow me to assume a mentality where I can read about the war in Iraq and the democracy protests in Burma, but not ache for them in the same way I do for rocks thrown at a peaceful protest that I am part of. I know that the situations in Iraq and Burma are much more serious, that many people are dying there. I am doing what I can in my own small ways (Women in Black held a vigil for Burma today.), but still, I feel slightly immoral—or at least without moral consistency—knowing that what happens in those places doesn’t make me want to sit on the curb and cry the same way that a rock thrown by a Nazi does when it hits me in the shoulder.

7 Comments:

  • At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel, you are a brave and courageous person. I feel so painfully depressed by this story and because of the pain that someone like you had to endure. Other narratives like this often brag about the elation of engaging with the "enemy." But that makes your story all the more real. Protest, real protest that challenges structures of inequality, is scary, difficult, and emotionally draining. And even some of the protagonists involved are hardly people to put on a pedestal. This is morally ambiguous stuff and it is hard to see the way to your vision of a just world. But that doesn't mean we should stop marching. How do we get there? I'll follow your lead. I am in your ranks.

    Love,
    Lou

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What's happening in Vojvodina province at the moment is deeply disturbing. The leader of the so called "Nazis" is a very dubious character who all of a sudden appeared on the political scene just in time when both Kosovo and some political parties in Vojvodina are seeking independance from Serbia. A year ago, no one knew
    these people existed. It is very interesting why something like this would be happening now when Serbia is under threat of separatism??? Also, it is very strange that a large number of anti-fascist demonstrators had their faces partially covered and wore hoods. And in spite what your friends told you it's not at all "normal in the Balkans" -- Serbs were the victims of fascism and were systematically exterminated in the Croatian concentration camp jasenovas alongside the Jews and Gypsies. Food for thought -- nothing is what is seems....

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Bg anon said…

    Rachel I dont want to be heartless about this but didnt you know there was a good chance that you guys would be attacked?

    Not that I in any way condone the violence. Its just that almost everybody realised that this could happen before it took place.

    Anyway I'm sorry that it shocked or upset you.

    The guys in the hoods were anarchists and other volunteers who were prepared to fight the nazis if necessary. Their appearance is something new in Serbia and certainly allowed marchers to feel safer.

     
  • At 4:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Serb children and elderly are stoned often in Kosovo when they are on buses or traveling through any Albanian areas, but no sympathy from the "Women in Black" who are anti Serb victims.

    If the little children endure being pelted with stones with no sympathy then you seem like a big baby.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    Chiming in...

    Thanks, Lou!
    Thanks for the thoughts, Selena.

    BG Anon: I did realize that there was a good chance of violence - friends and I strategized on how to best avoid it the night before. Still, at least for me, thinking about violence and seeing it are quite different.

    Speaking only for myself, I would say that anarchists marching in hoods did not make me feel safer. The opposite, in fact, but it was good to see a broad spectrum of people there.

    and for the other anonymous one:
    I do not condone rock throwing (or any other violence) no matter who the intended target is.

    I would disagree with your characterization of Women in Black. They have actively helped Serb women in refugee camps and are currently working on reconciliation projects between Serbian and Albanian women.

    And if crying when I am hit with a stone makes me a baby, I will proudly claim that title. I would rather express my feelings than put on a false facade.

     
  • At 3:56 PM, Blogger Newbie said…

    Rachel,
    I admire your courage and that of your group. I stayed home that day. I was afraid.

    Young people like yourself really are the future, as cliched as it sounds.

    Your willingness to put yourself out there on behalf of a nation of people that you are temporarily living with should be applauded.

    I am proud of Americans like you.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Allison said…

    thanks for your thoughts on my blog today. i've been reading a bit on yours, amazed that as i was sitting in nonviolence training last week, you were writing this post. it makes me sad, the situation itself, but also knowing that if i were in serbia i probably wouldn't have gone. you're inspiring to me to stretch myself, step out of my comfort zone and really live the life i've been mulling over. thanks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home