Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, October 08, 2007

On a lighter, more musical note

Before the protests, I attended my last Women in Black seminar. It was lovely; in a beautiful conference center of sorts attached to a Catholic Church in a small village in Nearly Hungary, Vojvodina. (I wish I knew Hungarian.)


As is customary, there was a dance party on Saturday night. At one point, we were dancing to a group of dance hits of the ‘70s: ABBA, that ‘it’s raining men’ song. ‘YMCA’ came on, a song I hadn’t heard in ages. I was having fun dancing to it – when the chorus came, no one else made the letters with their arms; they all looked at me a bit funny.


So, just so you know, cultural imperialism has spread to that point that people listen to The Village People all over the world, but do not dance to it in the same way.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How would you make the letters with your arms in Cyrillic? I'll admit, I don't even know how to do it in English! (???) I can spell, but I never was a very good dancer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home