Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, September 24, 2007

…To Drvenik…

A day after J left, I joined a coworker at her summer house on the Croatian coast. The name of the town I went to Drvenik, is nearly a translation of my hometown. (Drven = ‘wooden;’ I hail from Woodinville.) Fortunately, Drvenik is far from that nondescript suburb in many other ways – it is on the sea and is swarming with Czech tourists for starters.

It was a lovely vacation, the kind I never take. My vacations tend to be about doing things – visiting people or seeing sights. In Drvenik, I stayed with people I see regularly and there isn’t too much to see there. I had walked every street by the end of my first day. (Although, if I had been ambitious, I could have taken a bus or ferry to another town.)

I spent my days not doing much, reading, swimming, wandering, embroidering, drinking coffee, learning how to make hurmašica, chatting, watching TV. By the end of the week, it had gotten a bit old, but it felt really good to come back to work wanting the busyness, instead of feeling like I need a vacation to recover from my vacation.

Maybe I should take such lazy vacations more often.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What do you embroider? Could you post some pictures of your work?

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    embroider borders and monograms on handkerchiefs... nothing too impressive, really.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home