Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, December 18, 2006

A Superstitious Mind

I don’t think of myself as a superstitious person, but I recently realized that I follow superstitions, lots of superstitions. A sampling of my superstitious habits—with my best effort at tracking their source—follows:

I don’t ever put a bag or purse on the floor. If I did so, all of my money would go away. (This is from Serbia.)

For good luck, I try to make ‘rabbit, rabbit’ the first words I say every month. (This is from J, making it an Iowan tradition?)

I generally don’t sit on the corner of a table, as it would be that I never marry (in Serbia) or that I will be infertile (in Romania). Except, with certain friends I fight over the corner seat because none of us are too eager for spouses or babies.

And all of the alcohol-related ones:

I always look into someone’s eyes when I am clinking glasses with them (what is the word for ‘clinking glasses?’ Toasting is the best I can come up with, but it seems like a speech should be involved. Some English speakers I hang out with have coined the term ‘živeliing’ as živeli is what you say in this part of the world when you clink glasses.) My friend M told me that failing to make eye contact will result in 7 years of bad sex. I have no idea where he picked that up, possibly The Netherlands.

I never živeli with something that isn’t alcohol. I can’t remember who told me that or what the threat of noncompliance is, but I stick to it.

I always take a sip from my glass after živeliing before putting the glass back on the table. I have been told that in certain parts of Slovakia and Ukraine one must put one’s glass back on the table before drinking from it.

---

In sum, I am ridiculous.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:35 AM, Blogger Belgrade Daily Photo said…

    I hear ya-- of many Serbian superstitions the bag-on-the-floor thing just somehow feels right, I'm at the point where I figure, why risk it?

    Another fav of mine is from the one time I whistled in my mother-in-law's house and she told me not to because it will attract mice. Cute!

    It'll be interesting to see if any of your Serbian (and other) habits will cause any culture clashes when you're in the US.

    When I was visiting one thing happened that sticks out in my mind-- I was greeting an old acquaintence and I took her hand like you do here in Serbia when you see someone you haven't seen in a while, and she actually shook my hand, as if I was offering my hand for a handshake. It was awkward.

     
  • At 2:21 AM, Blogger Jill said…

    hey rach, happy holidays!

    i got the rabbit thing from a canadian and then was also told by a girl originally from s.africa that it should be 'white rabbit.'

    i heard the eye-contact-cheers-or-else-bad-sex thing from an austrailian.

    and we're ALL ridiculous in our own ways! know that you're not alone!

     
  • At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For someone who comes from a country where over 30% of people have little or no medical coverage, and also the same number is functionally illeterate, and where good education is a priviledge, you have a hell of a nerve to make fun of Eastern Europe.
    Also I won't even mention of the prevalence of houses MADE OF WOOD in the US. It's rather laughtable to live in a dwelling where one has to be aware of the termites...
    There are also cases of LEPROSY and TB (on the rise) in the US. Your foreign policy I won't even discuss...

    You have a lot of chutzpah girl -- why did you ever venture out of your little part of the world???

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    Jill--

    Thanks for the source on the 'rabbit, rabbit' bit...

    Carica--

    I'm sorry that it wasn't clear that I wrote this post full of affection for Serbia... at least you're not accusing US houses of being made of paper. That's a step up from a former Serbian teacher of mine.

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear girl,
    you "affection" sounds a lot like those "I have a black friend too" jokes. It's simply racist without bringing the color in.
    Think, and enjoy your 50 flavors of ice cream. American dream, nostalgia and notion of prosperity (and superiority) always revolves around a few select grocery items ...spices, cheddar cheese, giant supermarkets. And movies, of course. Personally, I like South Park and The Simpsons -- it provides a much more realistic picture....

     
  • At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. Kamagra I think I will leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home