Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

...and some things that I like about Serbian

In recent weeks, I’ve discovered a few [more-there are others] things I like about my nemesis, the Serbian language.

I like how some diseases are named. Diabetes is šećerna bolest, literally ‘sugar disease,’ but dijabetes is also used. Hepatitis is žutica, based on žut, yellow, although hepatitis is also an option. There’s a simple elegance to this. I like how the names of the diseases are transparent, not derived from Latin.

Yesterday, I learned that boots that reach towards one’s knees are called ‘deep’ while ankle boots are ‘shallow.’ Do you call them 'tall' and 'short' in English? I have spent more time than I would like to admit unsuccessfully trying to come up with how one says such things in my native language.

My immediate mental image upon learning this usage was of someone wading into boots as if they were water. Satisfying.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    racheal, a good observation. good good..

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel:

    That Tussilago concert (comments a few posts below) was my last night on this trip to Belgrade and it was really good. If they play again, you should see them: They were melodic and fun.

     
  • At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Boots in English... hign and low--cut, again reminds me of tide...
    What I like about "zutica" is the attention to outward appearance, rather than an implication of some complicated viral infectious disease...perhaps Serbian is very focused on visual perception. I also know that it can be quite visceral too. You're doing well Rachel, and I feel bad I gave you trouble. You're sort of "feeling your way around," which is the right thing to do here. I apologize for my spelling, I have little time to ponder over it. (my previous post was a spelling disaster, but I hope you understand).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home