Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Day of the Witches

So I write Serbian compositions once a week for my Serbian class. I have been waiting for an at least mildly interesting topic so I could post it here. I’ve written about diabetes and the time I got my foot caught on the bus. This week, the topic was fashion, still not too interesting to me, and the grammar point to work on is ‘if…then…’ statements. I am fairly pleased with my composition. I don’t know if it is satisfying or horrifying that this is my writing level after a year or so of Serbian study.

[The English translation follows.]

Odeća me ne interesuje mnogo. Ne pratim modu, samo je gledam. Ali volim da napravim kostime. Sreda je bila Dan veštica, jedan od mojih omiljenih praznika. Obično, Amerikanci nose kostime kada slave Dan veštica.

Prihvatala sam poziv za žurku Dana veštica i morala sam da napravim kostim. Da sam imala više para, kupila bih odličan kostim. Da sam imala više vremena, kupila bih materijal i šila kostim. Razmislila sam o svojom kostimu. Odlučila sam da se obučem kao noćno nebo. Već sam imala tamno plavu haljinu. Pravila sam zvezde od kartona i folije i oblake od loptica od vate. Zakačila sam ih na haljinu iglama.

Kostim je bio uspešan. Na žurci, moja prijateljica mi je rekla da da je bio takmičenje kostima, ja bih bila pobednica.

Clothing doesn’t interest me much. I don’t follow fashion, I just look at it, but I love to make costumes. Wednesday was Halloween (in Serbian, literally ‘Day of the Witches’), one of my favorite holidays. Usually, Americans wear costumes when they celebrate Halloween.

I accepted an invitation for a Halloween party and I had to make a costume. If I had had more money, I would have bought an excellent costume. If I had had more time, I would have bought fabric and sewed a costume. I thought a lot about my costume. I decided to dress as the night sky. I already had a dark blue silk dress. I made stars out of cardboard and tin foil and clouds from cottonballs. I pinned them to the dress.

The costume was a success. At the party, my friend told me that if there had been a costume contest, I would have been the winner.

6 Comments:

  • At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel, you`re pretty good!

    Although, I have to point out something: in Serbian it`s usually said noc vestica(night of the witches)
    ali volim da pravim kostime
    razmisljala sam (duration)
    prjateljica mi je rekla da da je biLo takmicenja kostima (no need for moja, but it`s ok)

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh boy,
    I thought I was prissy and demanding....

     
  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i don`t think i`m prissy & demanding...
    I like Rachel and her blog, but I know how it is when you`re trying to learn a foreign language, and i`m not talking about english...
    when i studied swedish, i wanted people to correct me, it helps a lot...
    and Rachel, I`m sorry if I ofended you somehow, I didn`t have any intentions of doing so..

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    Marta,

    I appreciate the corrections. I had some of your phrasing in my original and my teacher told me to change it to what I posted. So much of language is style...

     
  • At 11:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bravo Racheal! very very good..

     
  • At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    BRAVO! Nemam reci! WELL DONE!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home