Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

nights at the movies

The Belgrade Film Festival is going on right now, which is fabulous. It's my one chance to see movies that are not the big blockbusters. Unfortunately, English subtitles are not consistent, so I've restricted my movie-watching to English-language films.

On Friday night, K from Banja Luka, a fellow BVSer, and I took in Syriana, which wasn't part of the festival. We both fell asleep - not a good sign. The 'official festival' films have been much better.

Brokeback Mountain made me want to move to the mountains. The scenery was beautiful but the film was really hard for me to watch. It hurts to see people who are so unhappy & who seem to accept that as the way life is supposed to be, who aren't doing anything to change their situation. The theater we were in, which seats 4,000 (by far the largest movie theater I have ever seen) was really full, which gave me hope for increasing tolerance in Serbian society. If a few thousand people want to spend their Saturday afternoon watching gay cowboys, maybe people won't be attacked the next time they try to organize a gay pride parade in Belgrade. . .

On Sunday night, I saw Mrs. Henderson Presents. I knew nothing about the movie except that Judi Dench was in it. It was satisfying. She plays the same character she always plays, the spunky old lady who speaks her mind, but I like that character so I didn't mind. I don't know if she deserves a best actress oscar, though.

And on the schedule for the next few days is The Constant Gardener and possibly Tommy or Hair on Sunday night, depending on when I get back from a weekend trip to Nis. The film museum is showing movies from or inspired by 1968.

And this film is nowhere in sight. (thanks, A, for alerting me of its existence.)

3 Comments:

  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    In a fabulous twist of fate, I now know one of the actors in this film (which is not a sequel, but a redo of the first, oddly enough) and the earlier version. She's in a dreamgroup that I'm in. She offers signed DVD's and I know when you're birthday is... I do so love to taunt you about this, hope you don't mind too terribly.

     
  • At 7:49 PM, Blogger Amanda said…

    Re: Brokeback Mountain. I had a hard time with Heath Ledger's character's acceptance of the situation too, but I came to believe that he really saw it as the lesser of two evils. As a young child he saw a man tortured and mutilated for his sexual preference. I can't say I wouldn't make the same choice if I were him.

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I meant to tell you about the new movie, but somehow more important things came to mind when I got to the computer...
    Momdre

     

Post a Comment

<< Home