Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Thursday, February 09, 2006

notes on food

I dreamed of nectarines last night & woke up with their taste in my mouth. . .

I discovered canned tomatoes yesterday. And they weren't even that expensive. This ends my list of food that I look for as I wander supermarket aisles. I've either found things (the aforementioned tomatoes, soy sauce), figured out reasonable substitutes (making my own tortillas, chopping up chocolate bars to replace chocolate chips), or given up and decided that some things just must be imported (good tea [although I figured out where to get Twinings last week], salsa, certain spices) or done without.

K from Geneva, who I will be meeting in Zagreb next weekend, offered to bring me any 'western' food that I desire. I asked for chocolate chips & salsa. She told me that neither of those things exist in Switzerland either. I don't know if that is comforting or unsettling.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger Daniel said…

    You work much harder in the kitchen than I do. I tend to make things like Chinese-raznici stir fry, i.e. whatever I can find, cooked according to recipes I knew before.

    We did bring teriyaki sauce back from the US, and we got M&M candies last time we were in Hungary.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Meaghan said…

    Oh! I so relate on the chocolate chips. I have a bag that my mother-in-law mailed to me waiting in the fridge for just the right occasion.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home