Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Sunday, February 05, 2006

go Seahawks!

I will be watching the Super Bowl shortly at my friends’ house. I don’t think I would bother to stay up if the hometown team wasn’t in the game – even though, as was pointed out by my brother, I cannot name a single Seahawk.

My parents always have a Super Bowl party. I have lots of memories of the party, but no memory of ever watching the game. I remember walking around the neighborhood talking with S. I remember the year it snowed and very few people came. I remember dressing the younger kids up in my brother & my dress-up clothes. We had such great dress-up clothes – Care Bear and chipmunk and Minnie Mouse costumes, a kimono, etc. etc.

As I do not have yards of fake fur or a small child here, I have resorted to another Super Bowl ritual: the Mexican dip. I used to always make a multi-layer Mexican dip & I have recreated it here as best I could.

The first layer is refried beans. In the states, I would just open a can. Here, I soaked dry beans for a day, boiled them to softness, and did the refrying myself. The second layer is guacamole. I found an avocado here. It’s not very soft, but a passable guacamole was created. The third layer is sour cream mixed with taco seasoning. Thankfully, F and R brought me taco seasoning when they came. I don’t know if it could be found in these parts. The next layers are chopped onions, tomatoes, and olives (which I am omitting because I don’t like them) and shredded cheese. Edamer is a good replacement for cheddar.

What I am most worried about is the tortilla chips. I did manage to avoid the ketchup-flavored ones & opted for ‘natural.’ Upon closer inspection of the label, I discovered that they have rosemary in them. Maybe next time I will be making my tortilla chips from scratch as well.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Seattle's not such a happy place today... The party was fun -- people started cheering wildly at the coin toss, which Seattle won. We had 3 TV's set up (little one in the bathroom. People really watched the game. And ate. Almost none of the layered dip left. (I did my share, contributing well to something I read beforehand that says the average viewer eats 1200 calories during the Super Bowl.) I did have a new chocolate chip cookie (or 2)that may be the best ones I've ever tasted! The secret ingredient was the hazelnuts. Anyway, it's only a few weeks till spring training, and the disappointment of another sport.
    momdre

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Blogger Katja R. said…

    I just visited your blog, from elsewhere trawling for reaction in the Balkans Blogosphere to the death of Milosevic, and came accross your blog. I live in the Yakima Gulag so of course no one here was very happy about the Superbowl. I promise, I didn't listen or watch, I know I'm a jinx. So it's not my fault!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home