Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Friday, January 27, 2006

movie night

I went to the Yugoslav Film Museum Wednesday night to see 'Dogville.' The sound was terrible, (in parts, I read the subtitles) although the movie was interesting. I can't really get behind the 'people are terrible' theme and the sets (or lack thereof) was bizarre and distracting. More people walked out in the first 10 minutes during this movie than at any other movie I have seen.

(Some time ago, my brother told me that while he was working at a movie theater, 'Moulin Rouge' was the movie for which the most people demanded a refund of their tickets. Do people really hate Nicole Kidman that much?)

Probably my favorite thing about the outing was the crowd. They were all young and looked Portland-ish (not quite right, but as close as I believe is possible in this part of the world). We stood assembled in the lobby waiting for the theater to open & I pondered ways to make them become my friends. I'm not quite sure how to best do that - asking if a chair is free in my bad Serbian & hoping they strike up a conversation with the strange foreigner, perhaps? - The door had openned and we all took our seats before I tried to strike up a conversation.

It is reassuring to know that such groups exist, that they assemble a very short walk from my house, and that movie admission is something that I can easily afford (about $1.50).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home