Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, January 09, 2006

Saturday in Sofia

Two very strange things happened in Sofia on Saturday. Descriptions follow:

1. I had my fortune told by a guinea pig. A man on the street had two guinea pigs in a giant water bottle with wood shavings in the bottom. My guides (the peace corpsers) asked if I wanted my fortune told. I did. I gave the man about 60 cents and he let me pick which guinea pig I wanted to fortell my future. I picked the calico-looking one (can guinea pigs be calico or is it only cats?) He lifted it out of it's home & set it before what looked like a pre-computer era library card catalog. On the third try, the guinea pig selected a card (they were actually small envelopes with slips of paper inside). Over dinner, a companion traslated the card for me. I will fall in love. I will be successful in business. I should always support my children. Good to know.

2. I learned that dustbusters are not exclusively used for cleaning floors in Bulgaria. The five of us all went out for a traditional Bulgarian meal. It was delicious, making me wish that Serbia had things like eggplants this time of year. We ate a baba ghanoush-esque spread, salads, deep fried beans (so delicious!), and yogurt cheese. After the meal, we ordered desserts. Before the waitress brought us our ice cream, fig pie, and the Bulgarians take on flan, she cleared the table. Part of that clearing involved dustbusting the table to rid it of all of the crumbs we dropped. It was very hard to not laugh at this spectacle and we succeeded marginally. I held my water glass to my face and watched the Bulgarian folk dances on the TV behind me.

So very strange, this Bulgaria.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home