Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The simple life

The Brethren are big on simplicity and big on God. Last night, my activities would have pleased them.

I have never before mended a run in my tights - I usually just throw them away - but I decided to start last night. Reasons: I wear tights every day under my pants for extra warmth. They get runs in them from so much wear, from handwashing, etc. I really don't want to have to buy a new pair of tights every few weeks - I would rather spend my limited funds on more interesting things. And, as these tights are worn under pants, no one sees them, so there is no fashion police to see the navy blue thread that patches the holes in my black tights. So I'm living simply, conserving resources, etc. The Brethren would be proud.

And the God bit: I recently discovered that one of my favorite ministers posts mp3s of his sermons. I have downloaded a bunch of them and am slowly making my way through them all. It is good to have some spiritual & mental stimulation as my hands are occupied with such a repetitive task.


I didn't realize until this morning that last night was also the state of the union address. I think I made the better choice with my listening material.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Several years ago Holly Near gave me permission to not listen to the State of the Union address. (she started her concert by saying "I can't stand to look at his face -- so I don't." I felt that way about his voice. I get what I need from the analysis afterwards.
    On a related note, our local NPR station had a call-in show the night before asking for people to give their one-word assessment of the State of the Union. It clearly showed what a leftist-leaning audience they have! Independently (we were in separate cars at the time, on our way home from Dave Barry), we both came up with "polarized."
    Momdre

     

Post a Comment

<< Home