Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Scorpions, Srebrenica and somehow, I manage to bring this post back to food

The trial of the scorpions paramilitary unit is continuing this week – they seem to have trials for one week every month. I haven’t figured that out. I just know when it happens because activists from other cities come to Belgrade to witness it & sleep in my office. The Scorpions are responsible for some of the worst atrocities at Srebrenica (or accused of them, I suppose even they get to be innocent until proven guilty). This means that relatives of those murdered come to Belgrade to watch the trial. Last night, about 20 relatives of murdered men from Srebrenica were in our office. Intense. Lots of tears. I can’t even begin imagine such a experience. And instead of saying something articulate about collective responsibility, the failure of the UN, etc., I spoke with one of the women about the food. There was a crazy fruit that I had never seen before. I asked her its name (which I have since forgotten) & she showed me how to peel off some of the skin & warned me about the seeds.

So not international peace and reconciliation, but we both smiled, which is something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home