Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Sunday, March 12, 2006

jinx

So Milosevic is dead. I haven't seen much reaction to it yet. In my wanderings around yesterday, people were much more concerned with the honey festival and the free balloons being given away outside the new Nike stores.

On to the small everydaynesses of my life. Last week, I introduced the concept of "jinx" to Serbian school children. I had one of my native speaker classes that I teach at a local language school. During the class, two kids said the same word at the same time. An elaborate ritual of trying to touch each other while crossing their fingers ensued. I explained what happens in the states if you say the same word at the same time. Someone says "jinx" and then the other person can't speak until their name is said. For the rest of the class, the students tried to catch someone speaking simultaneously with them, in order to "jinx" them.

At least it kept the class quieter.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Rachel,

    I work for Radio Open Source, a public radio show that uses the Internet as its main source. I would be very interested to hear your view on the death of Milosevic. How are people there reacting to it? What happens next? It would be very helpful for our readers to have a better understanding of what is going on there. It seems from the tenor of your blog that you are interested in issues of culture and politics, and I'd be very eager to hear your take.

    If you would like to respond with comments, my email is henry@radioopensource.org.

    Thank you, and best wishes,

    Henry Shepherd
    Radio Open Source
    henry@radioopensource.org

     

Post a Comment

<< Home