Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

at least I can understand a Serbian newspaper article

While reading the Serbian-language paper in my office, I learned that Brad Pitt is going to turn my favorite book into a movie.

This makes me much angrier than I have a right to be. And I am angry. The book is brilliant, with a thoughtful plot, very well-crafted characters, and an interesting narrative style. I don't think any of that will translate to the big screen. It would be so easy to make it so terrible and over-the-top. Some reports say that Brad Pitt will act in it as well. None of the characters - as I have imagined them, as they are described - look anything like him.

After this movie comes out, when I tell people about my favorite book, they'll think of the not-so-good movie that was based on it. That might be easier than trying to explain the plot, though. Praising a book about a Jesuit mission to another planet in a way that doesn't immediately invite others to judge me harshly is difficult.

On the upside, the author deserves to make more money from her wonderful creation. It's nice to know that Brad Pitt has good taste in books.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh no!
    I agree -- there was no Brad Pitt in the book.
    Momdre

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Blogger Katja R. said…

    gaaaah I never have recovered from 'Chocolate' that uber 'chikflik' Brad Pitt doing a bad Irish accent made me ill, I tried to concentrate on the lovely French houses which reminded me of houses in the Balkans a little, and the lovely French landscape. The movie was sleezy and exploitative, and oh well!
    I've seen him in other films and I don't know how anyone could consider him hot!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home