Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Thursday, March 16, 2006

an imperfect evening

I speak way better Serbian than Lou Reed.

I went to see him in concert last night. A friend got tickets and invited me along. It was a lot of fun, great people watching, but he didn't play my favorite of his songs, Perfect Day. Whenever I go to concerts, I always pick my favorite song to hope for. This was the first time in memory that I have been disappointed.

His supporting musicians were amazing. My companion aptly described their solos as "musical orgasms."

I think I've developed a new rule, though: I shouldn't go to concerts of artists who were at their peak before I was born. His voice has changed a lot - he doesn't sound like the album I have. It feels a little sad to watch someone play songs that are decades old, knowing that he plays them every night.

At the beginning and end of the show, he butchered "thanks" in Serbian. Adding an extra syllable hvala became havala.

He play guitar way better than I do, so I guess I can't be too hard on him.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:44 PM, Blogger Belgrade Daily Photo said…

    Give poor Lou a break (though I hear he doesn't give many to other people) he's gotta be 60 at least-- isn't he? He's bound to have pronunciation issues.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home