Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, July 03, 2006

temporary superiority

I've been feeling really good about my food, recently.

I've been listening to The Omnivore's Dilemma, which I would highly recommend. The author explores different American food chains (supermarket, organic market, local farmer, hunter-gatherer) to fascinating results. I now know more that I ever need to know about corn. (1/4 of items in the average American supermarket contain corn. Corn has evolved and been bred to the point that it can't pollinate itself without human help.)

I like to listen to it while I prepare my meals. There is something really satisfying about cutting up cheap, fresh, relatively local, and in season fruit and vegetables (tomatoes! cucumbers! peas! peaches! raspberries!) and preparing vegetarian delights while listening to descriptions of cattle feedlots. I feel so superior.

I'm sure if you ask me next February, when I am sick of potatoes and cabbage, I will beg for the American industrial food chain that can provide me with relatively affordable out-of-season produce.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Bg anon said…

    Well the superiority isnt so temporary - think of the bragging rights and the people you can lecture about fresh local produce when you return home!

    Dont mention the depleted uranium though :(

     

Post a Comment

<< Home