Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Friday, June 23, 2006

obligatory World Cup post

As you should know, we are in the midst of the World Cup. It's a really big deal here, even through the Serbian team is now out of competition.

I'm not one of those football-hating Americans, but I am having a hard time being interested. I like to play soccer, but I'm no good at watching it. Maybe it's my lack of a Y-chromosome, but I just can't sit and watch a full 90 minutes of the sport regularly.

I have caught many parts of games, largely because it is impossible to not have a TV showing a game in one's sightline anywhere in Belgrade. I have seen two games in full: the scoreless-until-the-91st minute Poland Germany match & Portugal-Iran, which I don't remember much of. I was at a brewery with some friends and was much more focused on our conversation than on the game.

Attempting to understand people's love of football, I just read Fever Pitch, Nick Hornby's account of his football obsession. It's good and gave me a bit of empathy, but I have no idea how it got turned into a baseball-themed romatic comedy.

My family has an online pool for picking the games. Thus far, my average is 25%, which is a bit embarrassing, but probably understandable given my lack of attention. My dad's only correct 18% of the time.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the Ghanaian coach is from Serbia. How did they let him get away??
    Momdre

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nick Hornby = British author. Does the British Council have copies of his books?? I think one could discuss "A Long Way Down," the only one I've read.
    Momdre

     

Post a Comment

<< Home