Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Monday, May 29, 2006

Lost and translated

A few days ago, I was in my neighborhood nerd supply store (as R termed it during his visit) having some photocopies made. On the shelf of books, I spotted the Serbian-language version of Where’s Waldo? It’s called Gde je Gile?

I like that they changed Waldo’s name in order to maintain the alliteration, but is Gile a Serbian name? I don’t think I have met or heard of any Giles since my arrival here. I can think of more common men’s names that begin with ‘G.’ Goran, for example. But Waldo is a rare name in the US – maybe the translator was trying to maintain that.

Yes, deep thoughts as I wait for my copies to be made.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gile is actually a nickname. One famous Gile is Srđan Gojković Gile, the front-man of a rock group (Električni Orgazam).

    Actually, this is what Wikipedia has to say on Where's Waldo:
    Where's Waldo? (known in the UK as "Where's Wally?", in French "Où est Charlie?", in German "Wo ist Walter?", in Spanish "¿Dónde está Wally?") is a series of children's books created by British illustrator Martin Handford.

    BTW. I've been reading your blog for a while, but this is my first comment. Pleased to meet you :)

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    thanks, Dejan. I'm glad top have you as a reader.

    Interesting that Serbian, French, and German translators change the name while Spanish translators don't. (I did know a Nicaraguan Walter, but it's a super uncommon name.)

    And the French chose Charlie? Bizarre. I thought the French were all about preserving their language.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home