Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

adios, chinelas

This morning, I stumbled on my kitchen floor and broke my chinelas. It made me really sad, sadder than a person should be when it is time to throw away five and a half year old bright orange plastic sandals.

Among my possessions here, they are one of the things that I have had the longest. I bought them after my Nicaraguan host mother insisted that walking barefoot was what was making me sick all the time. [And I was sick nearly constantly for the first month of my time in Managua. There was even a spinal meningitis scare.] Since their purchase, I have been largely healthy and completely protected from all of the sketchy showers that I have encountered.

Writing this, hours later, is making me sad again.

Rest in peace, chinelas. You have served me well.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now you have a reason to buy cool green sandals! (There must be some...)
    Momdre

     
  • At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rachel,

    I've stubled upon your blog by total accident and was wondering.. what are you doing in Belgrade, if you don't mind me asking? :)

    I spent 6 months in Novi Sad myself, doing an internship with a local NGO back in 2004 and totally loved it. Hopefully you have the same experience.

     
  • At 2:02 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    I am working with Women in Black as a Brethren Volunteer Service volunteer.

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    nice. ehh.. I wish I were in Serbia for the Exit festival this year, something that I didn't have the chance to attend during my stay.

    perhaps I'll treat you to a cup of coffee if I am in Belgrade any time soon.

    cheers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home