Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

superlative authors, revisited

Loyal readership,

Who’s the best British author?

More specifically, do you know of any books by British authors about 250 pages in length that would be good selections for a book group? After my first choice, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time was rejected (they’re using it for an online book group & don’t want to double up), I am at a loss. I want things that interesting enough to sustain an hour and a half of discussion but still accessible to English Language Learners (so that one novel you love with no punctuation would be a bad choice). Also: they like mysteries and the supernatural. My mom sent me a list of books and they are either too long or the British Council, where I host the book group, does not have them in their library.

I spent a while in my favorite bookstore this evening with minimal results. I perused their English-language offerings looking for something British that I had already read. I realize that I read few British authors. I don’t restrict myself to Americans; I read Canadians, South Africans, Indians, and translations, but I apparently don’t read Brits.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Rachel

3 Comments:

  • At 1:03 AM, Blogger Belgrade Daily Photo said…

    What about Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd or Murder on the Orient Express-- though maybe Murder on the OE would be too familiar a story. I found people to be sorely lacking in their Sherlock Holmes knowledge here-- maybe the Hound of the Baskervilles? Not exactly profound literature but then neither is the Da Vinci Code (a recent book-club title at the BC).

    Ooh ooh what about the #1 Ladies Detective Agency? It's set in Africa. Great read and I know they have it at the British Council. That's modern AND deep! And clearly written.

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger rachel said…

    thanks for the suggestions. I have never read Agatha Christie or any of the Sherlock Holmes books - I probably should.

    I have been told that I have to choose British authors - is Alexander McCall Smith British? He was born in Rhodesia, so I am not sure. [Yes, I know Dan Brown is American - I'm not sure how that slipped through.]

    I decided on 1984 by George Orwell for this month, by the way.

     
  • At 9:09 PM, Blogger Belgrade Daily Photo said…

    Hm, well I looked up his biography and he was educated and has lived in the UK for a looong time, also he's married to a Scot (as far as I can infer from the fact that his wife is "an Edinburgh doctor") and he lives in Scotland. Personally I'd say he counts as British...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home