Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Saturday, July 15, 2006

The joys of public transportation

On Wednesday, my brother suggested we visit Prince Milos’s residence, which is now a museum dedicated to the 1804 Serbian uprising. I had not yet been to that part of town, so I got out my map with public transportation lines on it and plotted a course. The number 3 tram should take us from close to my home to close to our destination. We walked to the tram stop where I though we could catch the 3 to find that it was not listed among the trams that stopped there. We waited a little while and did not see a 3.

I got out my map and plotted a new course. The 12 could take us from where we were to within a reasonable walk to the museum. We walked to where we could catch the 12 and waited. It came and we hopped on. All looked promising until it did not turn the way it should have at the train station. We got off the tram and discovered that we had been on the 12L, not the 12.

After further map consultation, it was discovered that the 13 would take us where we want to go. We got on the first tram that came. I did not see the number, but Brad said that the reader board wasn’t working well, but it should be the 13. But it made a wrong turn at the train station. We got off at the next stop and discovered that we had been on the 2. We were now back on the route of the 12 (not the 12L). We waited for it, but only 12Ls came.

I suggested we walk to the train station where we could catch the 13. We did. We were nearly at the train station when we saw the 13, but it was a bus, not a tram. We ran across the street and climbed on. It went in the direction we wanted, although not as close as the tramline on my map. We passed construction that explained why the 12 and 13 tram lines were not running.

We got off the bus and walked for a while through an open air market (fresh raspberries!), park, and a cemetery with photos engraved on the headstones (kind of creepy) before arriving at our museum.

When we were nearly there, we saw a bus. It was the 3. At least it was easy getting back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home