Pustolovina: adventure in Serbian

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Frivolity, as wanted by me

The Belgrade Film Festival, one of my favorite things about this city, is on now. It’s a welcome distraction from the recent news. In addition to being able to see interesting movies from all parts, I enjoy this time of year because my work becomes much more relaxed, as everyone shifts their scheduled to accommodate movie showtimes.

Thus far, I have seen only three films, Babel, Imitation of Life, and Little Miss Sunshine. Short reflections:

Babel was a really hard movie to watch – I knew enough going in not to expect happiness. It’s hard for me to watch people make one bad decision after another. And echoing the sentiments of my family members, it really should have been at least two movies. I’m glad I saw it, though and not just because my attempt to explain the plot in my language class resulted in my acquisition of the Serbian words for ‘deaf,’ ‘sign language,’ ‘to injure,’ and ‘veterinarian.’

Imitation of Life was ridiculous, melodramatic, and satisfying. There was swelling music and crises every ten minutes for the two hours of the film. It was a bit strange to follow the story of a black woman trying to pass as white when the print was so bad that everyone was purple-tinted. I was half-hoping for the surprise twist ending of everyone actually being aliens.

I liked Little Miss Sunshine more than I expected to. It's not a best picture, but it is a fun way to amuse myself for a few hours. I think I would have enjoyed it even more if I was watching it in a theater in the states. Much of the film is so America-specific. After the film, I explained to my Serbian companion that child beauty pageants really happen like that in the states. Many times, I was the only one laughing. It reminded me of seeing School of Rock in Woodinville; my mother and I laughed more than everyone else in the sold-out theater put together.

Maybe I should say I should have seen it in an American city.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home